Mar 12, 2012

Cattle Minerals

Okay, so I've been doing a bit of research on the whole mineral thing.  I've found that corn and barley are higher in selenium than oats, that parsnips are what I'm growing this year for fodder as they are higher in selenium, too.  I know I should watch out for too much selenium as it's toxic.  I have many more resources to check out on cattle care. 

Calcium 7500 to 8500 mg/per/day
Phosphorus 400 mg/per/day
Copper 150-250 mg/per/day
Manganese 1200 mg/per/day
Zinc 1200 to 1600 mg/per/day
Selenium 4 to 6 mg/per/day
Iodine 25-28 mg/per/day
Magnesium 5000 to 10,000 mg/per/day

http://www.bovineengineering.com/NL_minerals.html


The amount of minerals in your soil, hay and grains change the amount of supplemental minerals your cattle need.  Doing a soil test of pasture lands will help determine what amounts of additional minerals are needed.  And from there, I hope to figure out what to feed them to help them get an adequate amount.  Our local feedstore makes a custom mineral blend just for this area.  This is what I usually feed my cattle, but I would like to get by with a smaller bill at the feedstore.

No comments:

Mar 12, 2012

Cattle Minerals

Okay, so I've been doing a bit of research on the whole mineral thing.  I've found that corn and barley are higher in selenium than oats, that parsnips are what I'm growing this year for fodder as they are higher in selenium, too.  I know I should watch out for too much selenium as it's toxic.  I have many more resources to check out on cattle care. 

Calcium 7500 to 8500 mg/per/day
Phosphorus 400 mg/per/day
Copper 150-250 mg/per/day
Manganese 1200 mg/per/day
Zinc 1200 to 1600 mg/per/day
Selenium 4 to 6 mg/per/day
Iodine 25-28 mg/per/day
Magnesium 5000 to 10,000 mg/per/day

http://www.bovineengineering.com/NL_minerals.html


The amount of minerals in your soil, hay and grains change the amount of supplemental minerals your cattle need.  Doing a soil test of pasture lands will help determine what amounts of additional minerals are needed.  And from there, I hope to figure out what to feed them to help them get an adequate amount.  Our local feedstore makes a custom mineral blend just for this area.  This is what I usually feed my cattle, but I would like to get by with a smaller bill at the feedstore.

No comments: