Apr 17, 2008

Grain Question

About a month and a half ago, I bought fifty pounds of wheat berries at the feed store.  This is where I've bought them before and had no problem.  Now I don't know if it's just my breadbaking skills going downhill fast, or if it's the grain.  When I first gound it and baked, I thought maybe they had made a mistake and given me whole oats.  It had a different taste and was dense and didn't rise like it should.  I don't think it's oats anymore, but I was wondering if it could be buckwheat.  When I grind it, it looks like buckwheat flour.  A recipe for two loaves of bread only makes one and it's very dense.  Anyone know what would happen if you baked 100% whole buckwheat bread (besides the fact that you get very full off of one piece),

No comments:

Apr 17, 2008

Grain Question

About a month and a half ago, I bought fifty pounds of wheat berries at the feed store.  This is where I've bought them before and had no problem.  Now I don't know if it's just my breadbaking skills going downhill fast, or if it's the grain.  When I first gound it and baked, I thought maybe they had made a mistake and given me whole oats.  It had a different taste and was dense and didn't rise like it should.  I don't think it's oats anymore, but I was wondering if it could be buckwheat.  When I grind it, it looks like buckwheat flour.  A recipe for two loaves of bread only makes one and it's very dense.  Anyone know what would happen if you baked 100% whole buckwheat bread (besides the fact that you get very full off of one piece),

No comments: